with the long weekend coming up… for us Canadians I thought it would be a great time to do a post on the NorCal Margarita that Robb Wolf is always talking about. For anyone that does not know Robb, check out his book “The Paleo Solution” and listen to his podcast “The Paleo Solution Podcast” which is available on Itunes for FREE.
Dont get it twisted though, alcohol is not good for you no matter how paleo friendly it may be, that being said… lets have some fun!
NorCal Margarita Recipe (and ingredients)
- 2 shots of high quality tequila
- The juice and pulp of one lime
- Club soda to taste
- Shake it up
- Serve on the rocks
What you’ve got yourself here is a 130-150 calorie beverage that is low carb (5 grams or less), low sugar (5 grams or less), and not too sweet or sour.
But why is this any better?
Traditional margaritas will spike your insulin levels, promote fat storage, and dehydrate the heck out of you. With the NorCal Margarita some of these issues are addressed.
- The tequila being used is fermented agave juice, both gluten and starch free
- The lime juice blunts the insulin response of alcohol
- The carbon dioxide bubbles in the club soda help to deliver the ethanol to your blood stream quicker, thus you drink less with the same effect
Awesome! But what if I’m at a bar?
- Some bars will know what a NorCal Margarita is
- If not, ask for a club soda with lime in a tall glass and 1-2 shots of tequila on the side. Grab a straw and mix it up yourself.
SOURCE: click HERE